Re: Basic questions [Was: How to monitor NM progress?]

>> {pts/1}% LC_ALL=C nmcli dev
>> DEVICE     TYPE              STATE
>> wlan0      802-11-wireless   connected
>> eth0       802-3-ethernet    unavailable
>
> So, the device is not managed if and only if the STATE field ==
> 'unavailable' ?

I do not think so:

LC_ALL=C nmcli dev
DEVICE     TYPE              STATE
eth1       802-3-ethernet    unmanaged
eth0       802-3-ethernet    unmanaged

http://live.gnome.org/NetworkManager/SystemSettings

> Another basic question no 1: how can I tell NM to keep its hands off
> a particular interface ?

This does not look like "another" question to me; rather the exact
same "unmanaged" question.

> I tried adding (in the [main] section of nm-system-settings.conf)

This file has been recently renamed to NetworkManager.conf (in 0.8?).
The syntax of "unmanaged-devices=..."  has also changed since
NM does not use HAL any more.

It's probably simpler to "unmanage" a device using system-config-network.