Re: NetworkManager multi-client support

On 17/03/10 08:18 PM, Dan Williams wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-03-16 at 12:43 -0400, Bill C Riemers wrote:
>
>> I do not know if this is the same thing, but one really annoying think
>> I have found with network manager, is the desktop icon for it only
>> appears under one login.   Which means for example if my son gets up
>> in the morning and logs into my laptop to play a game.   When I come
>> down and press "switch user".   My login will have no access to
>> network manager.   If I need to connect to vpn or such, I'm screwed.
>> If the wifi connection drops and I need to change a setting, I end up
>> having to logout, force logout my son, and then log back in, just so I
>> can access the wifi settings.
>>
>> Considering that Linux is designed from the ground up to be a
>> multi-user multi-process operating system, this type of oversight
>> seems unimaginable.   So what can I do to help to fix this?
>>
> Fast-user-switching has only really become feasible on Linux in the last
> few years, and that's what you're looking for.  There's a plan in place
> for supporting it though, so it'll show for an upcoming release.  Yes,
> it sucks that it's not "supported" yet.  But we're working to fix that.
>
> Dan

True.   But it has always been possible to run multiple X11 servers, and
switch by pressing CTRL+ALT+Fx where x is the virtual console number.
However, I assume any fix for fast switching will also take care of the
legacy methods of switching user.   I am glad to hear the feature is in
the works.

Of course, I don't really do the steps I described when my son is logged
into my laptop.  Instead I just start openvnc from the command line...
However, most newer Linux users are barely even aware there are command
line methods to control the network.

Bill