Modem ports found only after taking out and placing back in SIM card

Hi everyone!

Lucid, 2.6.31 kernel, Huawei 220. When I attach device after fresh
system restart, it can't find ports - option doesn't kick in
automatically, I can run it only manually. When I take SIM out and
place it back, option kicks in and I can deattach/attach USB modem and
driver is still loaded properly.

I can deal with this annoyance, but this is quite stupid for casual
users. Any ideas what could cause that? Similar problems?

Cheers,
Peter.