Re: Re-scanning for available devices/connections after failure

On Fri, 2010-07-09 at 09:38 +0200, Jirka Klimes wrote:
> On Friday 02 of July 2010 22:01:53 Daenyth Blank wrote:
> > I have the logs from another machine that had a similar issue today.
> >
> > http://gist.github.com/461838
> >

> Could you grab some debugging information as described here to find out what's
> going on:
>
> http://live.gnome.org/NetworkManager/Debugging
>
> under the "Debugging NetworkManager 0.8.x 3G connections" section.
> The modem-manager logs can tell more.
>
> Also, what NM and MM versions, do you use?

So here's the thing; we don't actually have good enough logic to retry
connections when they fail, because for the longest time we didn't have
enough information about *why* connections failed to determine whether
it was sensible to retry them.

Basically, regardless of the 'autoconnect' property, we want NM to
attempt reconnection if the connection that just got disconnected was
successfully connected when the disconnection happened.  But we also
probably want a 'reconnect' counter so that we don't keep retrying the
connection indefinitely.  Ideally this ties into each device's state so
that if the 3G card is no longer registered to the network (you drove
out of range, etc) that we don't try reconnection, but whatever.

This likely means modification of nm-policy.c's 'invalid' bit to *not*
set it for 3G connections that failed but were connected before.