Re: Re-scanning for available devices/connections after failure

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 20:58, Dan Williams <dcbw redhat com> wrote:
> So here's the thing; we don't actually have good enough logic to retry
> connections when they fail, because for the longest time we didn't have
> enough information about *why* connections failed to determine whether
> it was sensible to retry them.
>
> Basically, regardless of the 'autoconnect' property, we want NM to
> attempt reconnection if the connection that just got disconnected was
> successfully connected when the disconnection happened.  But we also
> probably want a 'reconnect' counter so that we don't keep retrying the
> connection indefinitely.  Ideally this ties into each device's state so
> that if the 3G card is no longer registered to the network (you drove
> out of range, etc) that we don't try reconnection, but whatever.
>
> This likely means modification of nm-policy.c's 'invalid' bit to *not*
> set it for 3G connections that failed but were connected before.
>
> Dan

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the info. What I've seen though is that it marks the device
as not present, and on some boots it doesn't get recognized at all (no
mention of it in the nm logs whatsoever). When I check the devices
using dbus, it's not there. Any idea on what could cause this or how I
could work around it?