Re: FC12 Recent update of PPP

On Thu, 2010-02-25 at 19:57 +0000, Brian Morrison wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 11:51:04 -0800
> Dan Williams <dcbw redhat com> wrote:
>
> > Updates are queued, the ppp-2.4.5 update caught me off guard so I
> > didn't synchronize the move of NM & NM-pptp from updates-testing to
> > updates proper.
>
> While not pointing any fingers Dan, isn't this exactly the sort of
> package dependency that should be automatically identified so that all
> needed packages can be pushed to updates simultaneously?

Theoretically.  The first bug was that NM and NM-pptp didn't lock the
PPP version they were using in RPM dependencies.  They used ">= 2.4.4".
Thus, when pppd bumped the package version, the broken dependency didn't
get noticed automatically, but it did get noticed in f12-updates-testing
which is where stuff like that is supposed to get noticed.

So I built updates for F12-updates-testing over a month ago, and they
were tested and found to work well.

I send the ppp maintainer a note that we should coordinate the push to
f12-updates, but that didn't happen like it should have.  I was also
away from mail for the day that the ppp update went out, otherwise I
would have pushed NM at the same time.

Bodhi (the Fedora update infrastructure) does not yet run repoclosure on
the package set to ensure that dependencies are fully satisfied, but
that wouldn't have helped in this case due to the ">= 2.4.4" error in
the original NetworkManager RPMs in the first place.  It's still
somewhat of a manual process in cases like this.