does/can networkmanager ever set rfkill?

i'm revisiting our ability to kill power to the wireless device
for the XO-1.5 laptop.  this time around, we're using rfkill to
do so.  (the XO-1 used a private mechanism.) since there's no
dedicated rfkill button, we need to invoke rfkill from a UI.

i was sort of expecting/hoping that NetworkManager could be used
to invoke rfkill, since that would be portable, and provide
persistence for the setting all at once.  but all i can find are
lots of ways in which NM reacts to rfkill events, and nothing
regarding it actually doing an rfkill block/unblock itself.

is this correct?  or have i overlooked something?  can NM, and the
applet, be used as a soft rfkill switch?

paul
 paul fox, pgf laptop org