Is there a way to get nm-applet to prompt for network security credentials through dbus?

I'm trying to get NetworkManager to connect to a wireless AP through the d-bus interface.  The AP requires security credentials (i.e. WPA password), is there a way I
can communicate to the nm-applet to prompt the user for the information?  So all I have to do is tell the nm-applet to get the credentials which will create a connection and I can tell NetworkManager to use the connection provided by the nm-applet.  Or am I stuck having to write my own app?

Thanks,

Greg