Re: Auto eth0 editing

On Tue, 2010-02-09 at 11:23 +0200, Peteris Krisjanis wrote:
> 2010/2/9 Dan Williams <dcbw redhat com>:
> > On Mon, 2010-02-01 at 15:50 +0200, Peteris Krisjanis wrote:
> >> Hi NM devs!
> >>
> >> I have question - is there any plans to prevent users to edit Auto
> >> eth0 for their static IP? It is still a very confusing problem. I know
> >> solution, I know you can mention it in help and troubleshooting, but
> >> still...
> >
> > In what way?  Auto eth0 should be able to be edited, since that's often
> > the only connection that applies to the device.  There can be multiple
> > connections for each device, with static, DHCP, etc.
>
> Well, current field scenario is this - user sees this connection, edit
> it for manual IP, but after reboot it is back to DHCP, so this causes
> huge confusion between users. So I suggest that Auto eth0 can be only
> disabled, but not edited. If user wants additional connection for
> device, it will create it.

When things are working properly, "Auto eth0" should be able to be
edited.  What's in the
user's /etc/NetworkManager/nm-system-settings.conf file?

What's supposed to happen is that you have a system-settings plugin that
can write out configuration.  'keyfile' and 'ifcfg-rh' can do that, but
the others can't.  So if you have either of those two enabled, and you
hit "Apply" then NM tells the plugin to write out that file, and the
plugin writes that out to persistent configuration, and "Auto eth0" will
retain your changes.

What version of NetworkManager do you have?  Can you grab
some /var/log/messages or /var/log/daemon.log that have any messages
from NM at that point that may show errors writing out the config?  We
have had issues in the past, but AFAIK they are all fixed as long as a
write-capable plugin is enabled.