Re: Preventing NM from managing one of my interfaces?

On Saturday 30 January 2010 02:59:30 Joe Emenaker wrote:
> I've got a laptop with which I use two wireless adapters. With one of
> them, I'd like NetworkManager to manage and automatically connect me to
> wireless networks when they're available. The other, I want
> NetworkManager to leave alone, letting me hack on it with iwconfig and
> whatnot.
> I've googled, but I can't figure out how to get NetworkManager to leave
> the second interface alone. The pages I've read say that all you need to
> do is mention the interface in /etc/network/interfaces, but I've done
> that, and NetworkManager still takes over management of it. Maybe the
> directives I'm using (like "auto wlan1") in the interfaces file are ones
> that NetworkManager ignores.
> In fact, the NM Wiki says that, if I put
>  >  [ifupdown]
>  >  managed=false
Hmm, that should work and don't use any of the interfaces from

> in /etc/NetworkManager/nm-system-settings.conf, then NM will leave alone
> anything mentioned in /etc/network/interfaces... but I've *got* that in
> the conf file, and NM is still grabbing and managing/associating both
> wlan0 and wlan1.
> Any ideas?
Maybe, some other configuration manages your devices (probably keyfile) or you
may be using user connection (stored in GConf).
Check your connections via nm-connection-editor.
You can also looked at /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/ for connections
managed by keyfile plugin.

To debug further, more info is needed:
your /etc/NetworkManager/nm-system-settings.conf