No user settings service available

After updating to 0.8.2, NetworkManager pretty much stopped working
entirely.  When I plug in the ethernet cord or my the phone via usb
(with dhcpcd server running on it), nothing happens - NetworkManager
shows that they are plugged in, but doesn't conntect to them
automatically like it used to.

When I try to connect to a wireless signal using the nm-applet,
nothing happens either and I get the following in the console:

<WARN> activate_connection_cb(): Connection activation failed: No user
settings service available.

The following page:
http://live.gnome.org/NetworkManager/RemovingUserSettings  explains
the removal of user settings service, but does not explain anything
specifically.

I'm running Slackware64 13.1 here.  Anybody else ran into similar issues?

--
Alex Lysenka
B.S. in Computer Science