Re: No user settings service available

On Thu, 16 Dec 2010 19:01:10 -0600
alkos333 <me alkos333 net> wrote:

> After updating to 0.8.2, NetworkManager pretty much stopped working
> entirely.  When I plug in the ethernet cord or my the phone via usb
> (with dhcpcd server running on it), nothing happens - NetworkManager
> shows that they are plugged in, but doesn't conntect to them
> automatically like it used to.
>
> When I try to connect to a wireless signal using the nm-applet,
> nothing happens either and I get the following in the console:
>
> <WARN> activate_connection_cb(): Connection activation failed: No user
> settings service available.
>
> I'm running Slackware64 13.1 here.  Anybody else ran into similar
> issues?

Well...

There's this commit in the NM_0_8 branch:

  commit 5a3b773cd520aaf0b615880a6565ca2ca27612af
  Author: Dan Williams <dcbw redhat com>
  Date:   Tue Aug 10 15:46:33 2010 -0500

      libnm-glib: better handling of missing user settings service

      If it's not running or we can't spawn it (it's not supposed to be
      autospawned anyway) we should just ignore the error and poke clients
      that we've tried and failed to get user settings instead of warning
      with an annoying message.

However, I don't see how that would muck up anything.

More importantly, I'm seeing this locally:

  Dec 17 19:43:43 liberty NetworkManager[2209]: <error> [nm-manager.c:1368] user_proxy_init(): could not init user settings proxy: (3) Could not get owner of name 'org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerUserSettings': no such name

Everything is working fine for me though, but I have all of my
connections configured to be system-wide, so maybe that's why.

> The following page:
> http://live.gnome.org/NetworkManager/RemovingUserSettings  explains
> the removal of user settings service, but does not explain anything
> specifically.

I think that page is an account of what's planned for 0.9, so not
relevant here.

-RW