Re: Running script on network connection

On Wed, 2010-12-15 at 22:24 +0100, David Björkevik wrote:
> Hi List
>
> I'd like a script to be run when I get connected to a network, similar
> to /etc/NetworkManager/dispatcher.d/, but I want the script to be run as
> my logged in user, within my desktop session.
>
> My use case is that I'd like to have Synergy launched whenever I connect
> to the network which hosts the Synergy server.
>
> This could be taken care of by a running D-Bus listening python script,
> but I'd like to avoid the overhead.

Since NM itself runs without a session, it can't execute stuff within
the user's session.  Something in the user session has to be listening
on dbus and then run the script.  If you're running an applet like
nm-applet, then maybe it makes sense to add some functionality like this
to nm-applet, or whatever user settings service (knetworkmanager, etc)
runs in the user session.

But right now it's not possible without something listening for D-Bus
events and spawning the scripts.