Re: stopping modem manager

Hi Jirka,

Could you send the file of org.freedesktop.ModemManager.service?

I have one as follows in my ubuntu machine:

[D-BUS Service]
Name=org.freedesktop.ModemManager
Exec=/usr/sbin/modem-manager
User=root

Should I must run modem-manager to start modem in the embedded system rather than pc? I looked into the networkmanager 0.8 open source and noticed modem-manager is part of NetworkManager, then, instead of starting a separate modem-manager daemon,  can I just run NetworkManger and let NetworkManager handles the modem? If I can do so, how can I set the configuration and system-settting?

thanks

Xiaohong

On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 5:56 AM, Jirka Klimes <jklimes redhat com> wrote:
On Monday 23 of August 2010 18:31:57 Rune Gellein wrote:
> Hi,
> I tried to just kill the modem manager, but Network manager started it
> again, so if you remove it, network manager will continue to try to start
> it in the background.
> And because of these dependencies, when you update the system again, the
> modem manager will be pulled back in (at least in gentoo).
>
> So what I am looking for is a setting in the Network manager configuration
> to stop it from loading the modem manager at all.
>
> Anything like that available?
>
> Rune

modem-manager is implemented as a D-Bus service and it's autostarted by D-Bus
when a call is made on it. NetworkManager pokes it every 2 minutes and thus
restarts it.

You can disable modem-manager by removing D-Bus service file
/usr/share/dbus-1/system-services/org.freedesktop.ModemManager.service

Jirka