Re: stopping modem manager

On Thursday 26 of August 2010 23:52:05 X.H. Sheng wrote:
> Hi Jirka,
>
> Could you send the file of org.freedesktop.ModemManager.service?
>
> I have one as follows in my ubuntu machine:
>
> [D-BUS Service]
> Name=org.freedesktop.ModemManager
> Exec=/usr/sbin/modem-manager
> User=root

Yes, that's the right content of the file.
However, you don't have to and should not do anything with this file.

The above suggestion about removing it is just a workaround to disable modem-
manager to be started via NetworkManager daemon.

> Should I must run modem-manager to start modem in the embedded system
> rather than pc? I looked into the networkmanager 0.8 open source and
> noticed modem-manager is part of NetworkManager, then, instead of starting
> a separate modem-manager daemon,  can I just run NetworkManger and let
> NetworkManager handles the modem? If I can do so, how can I set the
> configuration and system-settting?

modem-manager is complementary program to NetworkManager and it is used to
manage modems. You don't have to execute it manually. It is run automatically
by NetworkManager.
So, you just have to plug your modem and that's it. As far as configuration is
concerned, you should set up a connection using nm-connection-editor. You can
run it from terminal or just right-click on nm-applet in systray and choose
"Edit Connections...". Then select "Mobile Broadband" tab and add your
connection.

See also:
https://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/internet/C/connecting-mobile.html

Jirka