Re: stopping modem manager

Hi,
I tried to just kill the modem manager, but Network manager started it again, so if you remove it, network manager will continue to try to start it in the background.
And because of these dependencies, when you update the system again, the modem manager will be pulled back in (at least in gentoo).

So what I am looking for is a setting in the Network manager configuration to stop it from loading the modem manager at all.

Anything like that available?

Rune

On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 3:00 PM, Alexander Sack <asac ubuntu com> wrote:
On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 01:42:58PM +0100, Rune Gellein wrote:
> Hi,
> I just upgraded from Network manager 0.7.2 to 0.8.1 and I noticed it now
> automatically starts the modem manager.
>
> I am using wireless lan (using ndiswrapper).  So I don't need the modem manager
> which also seem to load lots of modem specific plugins into memory.
>
> Is it anyway to stop Network Manager from loading modem manager on startup? If
> not, any plans to add this?

For ubuntu my answer would be to remove the modemmanager package
... that would do the trick.

 - Alexander