Re: Adhoc: IPV4 setting 'link-local'

Sorry guys for the late reply.

On 08/11/2010 06:30 AM, i grok comcast net wrote:
On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 02:27:14PM -0500, Dan Williams wrote:
Huh; the key line here is

Aug 10 20:19:00 laptop avahi-autoipd.orig(wlan0)[3289]: socket() failed:
Operation not permitted

Do you have the avahi-autoipd user in /etc/passwd and its group
in /etc/group?  Should be something like this:

avahi-autoipd:x:498:498:avahi-autoipd:/var/lib/avahi-autoipd:/sbin/nologin

Since Simon appears to still be running Fedora 11, this is almost
certainly an SELinux denial. This was fixed in later SELinux policy
updates for F13 (and presumably F12, but I don't run that anymore), but
since F11 is EOL, I doubt it got updated.

Right, this error was on F11 indeed. And yes, when setting SElinux to permissive I could create the Ad-hoc network fine. As OLPC (the big F11 deployment) does disable SElinux that would explain why I did not see it there.

And to underline your assumption that this has been fixed in non-EOL :) versions I tested it on a latest soas snapshot (upcoming F14). As SELinux is set to permissive there I set to enforcing to make sure to not see the issue there anymore and yes, I can set up a link-local connection fine there.

Thanks a lot for helping clearing this question! I guess no action is needed here, please let me know if you think otherwise.

Regards,
   Simon