Re: Using an old V.92 Haynes modem

On Tue, 2010-08-10 at 17:22 +0100, Alex Buell wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I think perhaps ModemManager may be misnamed. It can't handle old style
> external modems such as my V.92 Haynes modem plugged into serial ports.
> But there are situations (for example ADSL goes down) where I would need
> to bring up an Internet connection using my V.92 Haynes modem over
> dial-up ppp. Is that even possible with NetworkManager?

Not at the moment; but it's intended to allow ModemManager to handle
these modems too.  Unfortunately I get about 30x more requests for
mobile broadband stuff than for 56k dialup support...  anybody is
welcome to help out with patches; it probably wouldn't even be that hard
since most of these modems don't need a ton of initialization, and then
you just dial.  What's slightly hard is detecting old-school serial
modems connected to platform serial ports.  USB modems should be OK.