Re: Using an old V.92 Haynes modem

On Tue, 2010-08-10 at 14:29 -0500, Dan Williams wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-08-10 at 17:22 +0100, Alex Buell wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I think perhaps ModemManager may be misnamed. It can't handle old style
> > external modems such as my V.92 Haynes modem plugged into serial ports.
> > But there are situations (for example ADSL goes down) where I would need
> > to bring up an Internet connection using my V.92 Haynes modem over
> > dial-up ppp. Is that even possible with NetworkManager?
>
> Not at the moment; but it's intended to allow ModemManager to handle
> these modems too.  Unfortunately I get about 30x more requests for
> mobile broadband stuff than for 56k dialup support...  anybody is
> welcome to help out with patches; it probably wouldn't even be that hard
> since most of these modems don't need a ton of initialization, and then
> you just dial.  What's slightly hard is detecting old-school serial
> modems connected to platform serial ports.  USB modems should be OK.

In the next few days I'll be getting a serial to USB cable to plug my
old V.92 Haynes modem into and see how I get on with that.

I also have a P166 with serial port with which I can test. Might be nice
to have a back-up dial-up Internet for those occasions when broadband
goes down.
--
http://www.munted.org.uk

One very high maintenance cat living here.