Re: Internet sharing over multiple interfaces

i don't know what to say.. i love the way this thread unfolds so beautifully :D
Thanks for all the help, people!!!

On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 08:48, Dan Williams <dcbw redhat com> wrote:
On Sun, 2010-08-01 at 12:06 +0200, Frederik Nnaji wrote:
> Hi Dan,
>
> i wish not to inflate this conversation beyond anybody's patience..
> i tried sharing a connection via WLAN again today, with no success..
>
> what do i have to do to make this work on an ordinary GNOME
> installation?
>
> * i am automatically connected via cabled DSL
> * now i create a new WLAN from the bottom of the NM applet's menu.
> * Next i right-click the nm-applet icon and i pick "Edit
> Connections..."
> * in Wireless, i set the IPv4 Settings of my new WLAN to "Shared to
> other computers"

You shouldn't need to do steps 3 & 4 if you used "create..." from teh
bottom of the NM menu.  That should automatically set the IPv4 method to
"shared to other computers" for you.

> now i can connect to the WLAN from another WLAN enabled computer, yet
> i have no access to the internet that way, except on the host itself.
> where am i going wrong?

One thing to try before bringing up the shared wifi connection is to
stop the 'iptables' service or any other firewall you have running.  NM
tries to do some of this but other firewall rules can interfere.

Dan