Re: Internet sharing over multiple interfaces

On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 6:08 AM, Frederik Nnaji <frederik nnaji gmail com> wrote:
> Hi Darren,
>
> On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 06:49, Darren Albers <dalbers gmail com> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 9:06 PM, Frederik Nnaji
>> <frederik nnaji gmail com> wrote:
>> <Snip>
>> > that's humor ;)
>> > NM will require 3 clicks of me
>> > ..additional NAT configuration how many?
>> > ..IP configuration how many?
>>
>> All of that is handled by Network Manager for you, just setup the
>> network as Dan describes and it will work.   I use this somewhat
>> frequently with great success.
>
> wow.
> i'm autoconnected to the internet via LAN cable / DSL.
> attempts to share this connection via Wireless have all failed. Perhaps you
> can write out the few clicks it takes you to achieve this successfully in a
> brief list here?

It is pretty easy, just connect to wired and then click on NM and
select Create New Wireless network.   It then automatically routes the
traffic and it works!

There is also some videos and documentation here:
http://press.redhat.com/2008/10/16/connection-sharing-in-networkmanager/
http://magazine.redhat.com/2008/10/16/video-fedora-10-connection-sharing/

For me only WEP works but that might be a wireless card issue (Then
again I haven't tried WPA in awhile..).  Make sure that you have
DNSmasq is installed and enabled on your system for it to work.   If
you don't have this enabled you will get a 169 address or no address.

I do need to give my thanks again to Dan and everyone else who has
worked on NM for how well this all works, it has gotten to the point
the Network Manager just works and that is simply amazing.

Thanks!