Re: Web login

Marc Herbert wrote, On 04/15/2010 11:11 AM:
Anyway any of these solutions would typically fail to make the
difference between lack of connectivity due to a Weblogin versus
perfect connectivity to an locked-down intranet. So this is just about
*public internet connectivity*. The fuzzy and context-dependent
"connectivity" concept is confusing by essence and nothing can be done
about it. For (another) instance when you have perfect and useful
link-local connectivity Windows reports "limited" connectivity. How
explicit.

How about this alternative point of view:

For the purpose of detecting magic HTTP interceptions (which is what we need!?) we don't need a working server at all. If we get a HTTP response on a known bad/silent IP address then we know that something is intercepting.

Alternatively, if several random IPs give the same HTTP response then we know that something is intercepting.

If the HTTP response is familiar it might be possible to make an automatic login, alternatively it would probably make sense to show it to the user in a web browser.

/Mads