Re: Web login

2010/4/13 Mads Kiilerich <mads kiilerich com>:
> As far as I know NetworkManager has no clever support for login to networks
> that seems open but requires login on a web page before it routes anywhere.
> No matter what you are going to use the connection for you thus have to open
> a browser and login before you can do your non-browser-based
> mail/chat/ssh/whatever work. It could be very nice if NM could make that
> more smooth somehow.
>
> Google finds a student that made a fine attempt:
> http://mail.gnome.org/archives/networkmanager-list/2008-December/msg00115.html
> http://zenit.senecac.on.ca/wiki/index.php/NetworkManager_Web_Authentication
>
> Clever hacks are also possible in some cases:
> http://prematureoptimization.org/blog/archives/107
>
> Are there any plans, dreams, thoughts, progress or other info in this area?
>
> /Mads

Of course, such functionality would be kinda cool. I could imagine it like this:
a) user connects to open network with web interface for username and password;
b) NetworkManager detects it, and offers to enter username and
password and remembers it using gnome-keyring;
c) Next time it logins automatically;

It would request to use libsoup propably for entering user data in
actual page. Also detection of such page could require some smart
hacks, but I think it is doable.

Cheers,
Peter.