RE: Web login

> > Just got it - it is simple as that. Try to open any page you're sure
> > isn't accessible without authentication. It will redirect to login
> > page. If there is clear shot that is indeed login page, go ahead. If
> > not, fall back to current default - do nothing :)
>

> bool requiresWebLogin()
> {
>     return (    http://www.google.com
>              == http://www.yahoo.com/
>              == http://www.hotmail.com/ )
> }
>
> Something like that.

I think Dan was against this sort of functionality. I think he referred to some netgear routers that autoconnected to some hosts on startup or something. A sort of unintentional DoS. Search the archives.
Some at least slightly more likely URLs then google, yahoo and hotmail are "http://www.canonical.com/nmtest"; for ubuntu and "www.redhat.com/nmtest" for fedora etc etc.

/Mattias - lurking here for like 3 years