Re: Strange problem with MF627 and NetworkManager

On Sun, 2009-09-27 at 20:24 +0100, Rick Jones wrote:

> The MF627 is a bit of a pig. I got one in January and spent a long
> time fighting to get it to work properly. What build of NM are you
> running, on what OS? Several changes went into NM over the last 2-3
> months specifically to fix ZTE probs, I spent quite a bit of time in
> dialog with the NM team on this. With the right fixes it works pretty
> well, although still has quirks.

> If you can give me a few more details I may be able to help a bit
> further.

Yes, I've since found the MF627 can be a bit odd; sometimes I need to
try connecting a few times before I can get onto the internet!

OK, I'm using Gentoo with Network Manager 0.7.1_p20090824, with the
default 3 (three.co.uk) profile, but with a different APN (3services)
rather than the default 3internet APN. I've also permanently set the
MF627 with ZCDRUN=8, so it doesn't come up with the CDROM any more.

Also, I had to edit /etc/hal/fdi/information/10-modem.fdi and add the
following:

     <!-- ZTE MF627 HSDPA USB dongle -->
        <match key="@info.parent:usb.product_id" int="0x0031">
          <match key="@info.parent:usb.interface.number" int="3">
	    <append key="modem.command_sets" type="strlist">GSM-07.07</append>
	    <append key="modem.command_sets" type="strlist">GSM-07.05</append>
	  </match>
        </match>

Sometimes I do get timeouts when updating Portage with eix-sync, I
finally extended the timeouts to 480, seems to have reduced the problem
somewhat but not always.

Having said that, I tested the kit out for the first time when going
back to college, stopped at a rest area and got my laptop out, and it
all worked.

I had to re-try a few times when I arrived at my destination but
otherwise download speeds is about 200kb/s, I guess that's OK for mobile
broadband.

Thanks, I'd appreciate any further pointers!
Regards,
Alex
--
http://www.munted.org.uk

One very high maintenance cat living here.