Re: DSL under Wireless

----- Original Message ----

I think the GUI code is in the nm-applet while the other codes is in the nm itself. So, we should change the nm-applet code for adding the PPPoE tab in all connection editor windows. Is it the case?

> Inside NM, we need to make the PPPoE handling code more generic.  It's
> currently only implemented for wired devices in
> src/nm-device-ethernet.c, but we could split that out into common code
> in src/ppp-manager/ somewhere that both the NMDeviceEthernet and
> NMDeviceWifi objects can use inside NM.

I saw the nm-device-ethernet.c code. The function names are self-documented. There are some variables which are related to PPPoE. I think I should skim the file much more to be able to split the PPPoE related code to another file. Any help in this area will be appreciated...

> Then there's the question of what stage the PPPoE connection should run
> at.  Each NMDevice object (of which Ethernet and Wifi are subclasses)
> proceed from the DISCONNECTED state through a few others like IP_CONFIG
> and such to the ACTIVATED state.  We still want to bring up the
> underlying device's IP config, and *then* bring up the PPPoE
> connection's IP config after that.  The internal structure of NM is such
> that it's geared towards only one IP config at the moment, which is why
> we currently don't try to set up the ethernet device's IP stuff, but
> instead do PPPoE.
>
> I'm not quite sure how to go about putting in the PPPoE stages and
> applying the config since we don't want to call the device "ready" until
> *both* the underlying IP config *and* the PPPoE config are up.  In that
> way PPPoE is more like a VPN, but we can also run the VPN on top of the
> PPPoE...
>
> One thought would be to do both the PPPoE and the eth/wifi bringup in
> parallel with a waterfall approach where each device stage isn't
> complete until *both* the eth/wifi and PPPoE bits for that stage were
> done.  I guess that's the easiest approach.

I realized that a feature that can activate more than one connection at a moment has been recently added to nm. Can it help us to have separate DSL window (like now) and activate both the permanent connection and DSL connection at the same time?

Cheers,
Habib