Re: Problem with Simple.Connect

On Fri, 2009-10-09 at 10:00 +0200, Pablo Martí Gamboa wrote:

> 2009/10/9 Dan Williams <dcbw redhat com>
>
>         On Thu, 2009-10-08 at 09:02 +0200, Pablo Martí Gamboa wrote:
>         >
>         >
>         > 2009/10/7 Dan Williams <dcbw redhat com>
>         >         On Tue, 2009-10-06 at 12:43 +0200, Pablo Martí
>         Gamboa wrote:
>         >         > Hi all,
>         >         >
>         >         > I'm getting a unreliable behavior with
>         Simple.Connect, the
>         >         first call
>         >         > will succeed, but further calls won't.
>         >         >
>         >         >
>         >         > Going through the logs with Tambet, we have
>         noticed that
>         >         there is
>         >         > something weird going on with IPv6 code:
>         >
>         >
>         >         I think that's mostly unrelated; NM will not finish
>         the
>         >         connection until
>         >         both IP4 and IP6 have completed, but of course in
>         your case
>         >         you don't
>         >         have IP6 configured since this is a mobile broadband
>         >         connection, so that
>         >         stage is just a null-op.  The real problem seems to
>         be:
>         >
>         >         Oct  6 10:27:04 lenovo NetworkManager: <WARN>
>         >          pppd_timed_out(): Looks
>         >         like pppd didn't initialize our dbus module
>         >
>         >
>         >         which indicates that PPP did not successfully
>         complete, or
>         >         that the NM
>         >         pppd plugin could not push the IP4 config
>         information back to
>         >         NetworkManager.  Can you run NM like so:
>         >
>         >         NM_PPP_DEBUG=1 /usr/sbin/NetworkManager --no-daemon
>         >
>         > see successful.log and error.log (first and second attempts
>         > respectively)
>         >
>         >
>         >
>         >         and then reproduce the issue?  That should show a
>         lot more log
>         >         output
>         >         (including pppd's stdout debugging info) that will
>         allow us to
>         >         figure
>         >         out what's going on here.
>         >
>         >         Also, did this just start happening, or has this
>         been around
>         >         for a bit?
>         >         Or did you just install something new?
>         >
>         > I forgot to mention that this with NetworkManager + Wader
>         rather than
> [...]

I'd hazard a guess that we're not disconnecting or hanging up the
previous connection correctly somewhere.  Disable implies disconnect of
course, so any Enable(False) handler should also be ensuring clean
disconnection.

Can you run NM with:

NM_PPP_DEBUG=1 /usr/sbin/NetworkManager --no-daemon

and lets see what comes out?  That will provide the PPP spew which could
help us get closer.