Re: Problem with Simple.Connect

On Thu, 2009-10-08 at 09:02 +0200, Pablo Martí Gamboa wrote:

> 2009/10/7 Dan Williams <dcbw redhat com>
>         On Tue, 2009-10-06 at 12:43 +0200, Pablo Martí Gamboa wrote:
>         > Hi all,
>         >
>         > I'm getting a unreliable behavior with Simple.Connect, the
>         first call
>         > will succeed, but further calls won't.
>         >
>         >
>         > Going through the logs with Tambet, we have noticed that
>         there is
>         > something weird going on with IPv6 code:
>

>         I think that's mostly unrelated; NM will not finish the
>         connection until
>         both IP4 and IP6 have completed, but of course in your case
>         you don't
>         have IP6 configured since this is a mobile broadband
>         connection, so that
>         stage is just a null-op.  The real problem seems to be:
>
>         Oct  6 10:27:04 lenovo NetworkManager: <WARN>
>          pppd_timed_out(): Looks
>         like pppd didn't initialize our dbus module
>

>         which indicates that PPP did not successfully complete, or
>         that the NM
>         pppd plugin could not push the IP4 config information back to
>         NetworkManager.  Can you run NM like so:
>
>         NM_PPP_DEBUG=1 /usr/sbin/NetworkManager --no-daemon
>
> see successful.log and error.log (first and second attempts
> respectively)
>

>         and then reproduce the issue?  That should show a lot more log
>         output
>         (including pppd's stdout debugging info) that will allow us to
>         figure
>         out what's going on here.
>
>         Also, did this just start happening, or has this been around
>         for a bit?
>         Or did you just install something new?
>
> I forgot to mention that this with NetworkManager + Wader rather than
> NM + MM. I'm testing the integration of both packages before
> (hopefully) the release of Ubuntu 9.10 final. I hadn't tested
> Simple.Connect in a while.

That logfile indicates that PPP isn't able to establish a session within
the timeout.  NM times PPP out after 20 seconds, which is a pretty long
time to give PPP.  I've actually never seen PPP take more than about 5
or 10 seconds to connect, even in marginal situations on any of my 25 or
so devices.