Re: Orinoco_cs WiFi under kernel-2.6.30

Dan Williams wrote:

>> I was looking at this again today.
>> My laptop with a classic Orinoco Gold PCMCIA card,
>> running Fedora-11,
>> with NetworkManager-0.7.1-8.git20090708.fc11.i586,
>> connects with WiFi under Windows XP,
>> and also under Fedora with the network service.
>> But it fails with the NetworkManager service.
>
> When it's not connecting to anything, can you open a terminal and do the
> following?
>
> sudo iwlist eth1 scan

If running under the network service I get
------------------------------------
eth1      Scan completed :
          Cell 01 - Address: 00:16:B6:DA:56:B4
                    ESSID:"dd-wrt"
                    Mode:Master
                    Channel:6
                    Frequency:2.437 GHz (Channel 6)
                    Signal level:-59 dBm  Noise level:-97 dBm
                    Encryption key:on
                    Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 11 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s
                              24 Mb/s; 36 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s
                    Extra:tsf=0000009cf450bf08
                    Extra:bcn_int=100
                    Extra:capab=0x0011
                    Extra: Last beacon: 109ms ago
------------------------------------

Running under the NetworkManager service I get
-------------------------------------
[tim mary ~]$ sudo iwlist eth1 scan
eth1      Failed to read scan data : Resource temporarily unavailable
-----------------------------------

> and paste what it returns?  orinoco has always been somewhat iffy about
> scan results, and it looks like your card simply isn't finding your AP.
> Thus NM can't connect to the AP automatically.

IIRC, NM worked fine with this card under Fedora-10.

Also, the card seems to get into a strange state after NM.
I have to re-boot twice before the network service starts working.

Nb I always change the line
	NM_CONTROLLED=yes
in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1
to "no" with the network service, and "yes" with NM.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net