Networking and Internet connection sharing using a USB mobile (Cellular) broadband modem.

This is a request for guidance. I am new to Linux.

Internet -> Option ICON 225 -> HP 5271 Pavillon Laptop =>DLink 660 PCMCIA Card. =>LinkSys Wrk54G
                                                         (FireStarter with ICS)                                                      WAN Accessport

Once connected the network is stable.

The problem is at boot up. When  the PC is shutdown (requires manual Power Off). The PC will not then reboot with the Network as shown above running correctly. The eth0 connection connects but not the hso0 connection.

Sometimes a simple

sudo /etc/init.d/NetworkManager force-reload

will restart the network but on other occasion as today the USB Dongle has to be unplugged first. Usually once replugged and the USB stack has reconfigured then connection can be obtained.

Visible notification from the NetworkManger in terms of what is seen on the Taskbar are;
  • Twin stacked PCs
  • Twin stacked PCs with red X
  • Twin Grey Dots and stationary "Spinning Comet"
  • Twin Grey Dots and "Spinning Comet"
    Either
  • Twin Dots one green and  "Spinning Comet"
  • Twin Green Dots and  "Spinning Comet"
  • Radio Tower (success)
    or
  • Twin stacked PCs (failure)

Why is this important it is simple to fix as stated above, well I am planning on replacing my gateway PC with a Linksys NSLU2 (http://www.nslu2-linux.org/) device and would really just like it to work without having to connect to the NSLU2.

If once connected, I then reboot the PC (No hard power off), it does so and the Windows PC have access to the Internet. I do not have to log in to the Xubuntu 9.04 PC which is of course what I want. I do not however to intent to or wish my gateway to be powered continuously or indeed continuously connected to the Internet.

I hope this adequately describes my problem.

Is there some command I can place in my gateway PC's startup script that will perform the same as unplugging the ICON 225?

Neill_Rutherford<at>hotmail.com

begin:vcard
fn:Neill Rutherford
n:Rutherford;Neill
email;internet:Neill Rutherford gmail com
tel;home:+44 (0)7980 534127
tel;cell:+44 (0)7980 534127
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
version:2.1