Re: Orinoco_cs WiFi under kernel-2.6.30

On Tue, 2009-10-06 at 12:56 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:

> >> I was looking at this again today.
> >> My laptop with a classic Orinoco Gold PCMCIA card,
> >> running Fedora-11,
> >> with NetworkManager-0.7.1-8.git20090708.fc11.i586,
> >> connects with WiFi under Windows XP,
> >> and also under Fedora with the network service.
> >> But it fails with the NetworkManager service.
> >
> > When it's not connecting to anything, can you open a terminal and do the
> > following?
> >
> > sudo iwlist eth1 scan
>
> If running under the network service I get
> ------------------------------------
> eth1      Scan completed :
>           Cell 01 - Address: 00:16:B6:DA:56:B4
>                     ESSID:"dd-wrt"
>                     Mode:Master
>                     Channel:6
>                     Frequency:2.437 GHz (Channel 6)
>                     Signal level:-59 dBm  Noise level:-97 dBm
>                     Encryption key:on
>                     Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 11 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s
>                               24 Mb/s; 36 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s
>                     Extra:tsf=0000009cf450bf08
>                     Extra:bcn_int=100
>                     Extra:capab=0x0011
>                     Extra: Last beacon: 109ms ago
> ------------------------------------
>
> Running under the NetworkManager service I get
> -------------------------------------
> [tim mary ~]$ sudo iwlist eth1 scan
> eth1      Failed to read scan data : Resource temporarily unavailable

NM uses wpa_supplicant to control all wifi connections; it's possible
the supplicant and/or the kernel drivers don't like each other as much
these days.  We'd need to figure out what's going on there.  You should
be able to create a minimal wpa_supplicant config file like so (assuming
you are using WEP, which it seems you are):

ap_scan=1
eapol_version=1

network={
	ssid="dd-wrt"
	key_mgmt=NONE
	scan_ssid=1
	wep_tx_keyidx=0
	wep_key0=<your hex wep key here>
}

and then run the supplicant like:

wpa_supplicant -dddt -i eth1 -D wext -c /path/to/above/config/file

and let me know the result.

Thanks!
Dan