Re: Automatic 6to4 for network-manager

On Tue, 2009-11-17 at 16:16 -0500, Paul Wouters wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Nov 2009, Dan Williams wrote:
>
> >> Note that at least fedora already has a mechanism for that via the initscripts.
> >> So networkmanager should only offer to up/down those settings/interfaces.
> >
> > I'd rather support that natively.
>
> I'd rather all my tools like system-config-network-tui still work when nm is
> being used.

We are working towards that.  Eventually ifup/ifdown will poke NM to do
the right thing for connections that are controlled by NM.

> > NM should automatically interpret and handle whatever ifcfg files there
> > are for 6to4, but the support should be native so that other distros can
> > benefit as well.
>
> Sure. just if the user changes it, I hope the corresponding ifcfg files are
> updated as well so other tools don't break. Current release of
> system-config-network-tui is already broken on RHEL for not supporting the
> various ipv6 options the initscripts support. I'd rather not make it worse.

Yup, the ifcfg-rh plugin should already do that for connections
supported by NetworkManager.  system-config-network is not being
actively developed anymore with new features; effort is being directed
into nm-connection-editor instead.