Re: Automatic 6to4 for network-manager

On Mon, 2009-11-16 at 09:27 -0500, Paul Wouters wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Nov 2009, Graham Beneke wrote:
>
> > I am wanting to provide an option under the IPv6 settings methods that will
> > automatically configure 6to4 transition interface if a user wants it and a
> > suitable IPv4 connection exists.
>
> > Does anyone have any thoughts or comments on building IPv6 transition
> > functionality into NM ?
>
> Note that at least fedora already has a mechanism for that via the initscripts.
> So networkmanager should only offer to up/down those settings/interfaces.

I'd rather support that natively.  The whole point of doing it natively
is to get better integration, better error reporting, and less
duct-tape-and-bubble-gum gluing together of random scripts and variable
substitutions littered all over the system.

NM should automatically interpret and handle whatever ifcfg files there
are for 6to4, but the support should be native so that other distros can
benefit as well.