Re: Migrating connections/keys/passwords between various front-ends

On Tue, 2009-03-17 at 11:23 -0400, Tom Sutherland wrote:
> Hi.
>
> My understanding is that there are (at least) three applets that run as
> a front-end for network manager.  I stongly prefer the Gnome "nm-applet"
> versus "knetworkmanager" as it seems more sync'd with network-manager,
> and have been using it in KDE without problems.
>
> However, in bleeding-edge Kubuntu, KDE seems to have broken
> compatibility with nm-applet forcing me to use the new plasma-based
> "Network Management" widget.
>
> Is there any non-manual way to migrate my 20-30 wireless
> connections/keys and 20-30 VPN connections/passwords to this new KDE
> widget?

Not that I know of; nm-applet stores the stuff in GConf (loosely
xml-based), while I have no idea what format the new Solid/Plasma stuff
stores its user settings in...  It may well be possible to write a small
program to take the output of "gconftool-2
--dump /system/networking/connections" and convert that into the config
format for KDE4.

Alternatively, you could enable the system-settings' 'keyfile' plugin if
it's not already enabled, and mark the connections as system connections
from the connection editor, and then they would be stored
in /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections and bypass the whole
DE-specific issue altogether...