Re: NM 0.7.1 rc3 oddness with 3G USB device

On Tue, 2009-03-10 at 12:42 +0200, Tambet Ingo wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 21:05, Dan Williams <dcbw redhat com> wrote:
> > Mobile broadband capabilities are detected with udev capabilities now
> > too, but the problem here is that nothing reports which channel is the
> > control channel and which isn't.  That information need to go into the
> > driver somewhere like it does for 'hso' type devices.  I don't know;
> > maybe asac is right and we do need to prefer HAL over udev at least for
> > 0.7.1.
>
> I agree with asac then. With any modem other than HSO, you have no
> idea from probing which port is the control port and which just
> accepts AT commands. With HAL, while things are fragile and require
> manual updates, there's at least a chance it works.

Alternatively, we could use the HAL information in addition to the udev
information.  Given a udev probe of the ports, get the HAL info as well.
If HAL thinks the port is GSM/CDMA-capable, use it.  If HAL doesn't know
about any ports for the device, just pick a port to use like the udev
stuff does now.

Or we could start putting port-types into the udev rules just like we've
done for HAL.