Re: NM 0.7.1 rc3 oddness with 3G USB device

On Mon, 2009-03-09 at 17:34 +0000, Conor Nolan wrote:
> Ubuntu Jaunty - 0.7.1~rc3-0ubuntu1
>
> After updating to the above I'm see strange behaviour with a Huawei E180.
>
> First to note the device works fine - still reported as an E220/270.
>
> The strange behaviour is that nm-applet is now reporting two devices:
> ttyUSB0 and ttyUSB1 (the control channel), instead of just the one.

Mobile broadband capabilities are detected with udev capabilities now
too, but the problem here is that nothing reports which channel is the
control channel and which isn't.  That information need to go into the
driver somewhere like it does for 'hso' type devices.  I don't know;
maybe asac is right and we do need to prefer HAL over udev at least for
0.7.1.

> The devices don't always get cleared from the list of Broadband devices when
> the device is removed - these can keep mounting up.

That's quite odd; can you post some logs of this happening in NM?  I've
heard of similar issues before but we could never nail them down to
either NM or HAL.

> Another issue I noticed is that the wired ethernet device's (not ifupdown)
> address moved from eth0 -> eth2.  Ditto wireless eth1 -> eth3.  From where
> is this controlled?

udev, most likely.  There are usually some "persistent-net-rules"
scripts in the udev rules directory (most likely /lib/udev/rules.d) that
will try to keep persistent net device names based on MAC address.