Re: option products with network-manager-0.7.1~rc4.1.cf199a964

On Tue, 2009-08-25 at 11:17 +0200, Jeroen Elebaut wrote:
> Hey all,
> I hope this is the correct place to provide several patches for the
> network-manager. It seems the version included in ubuntu 9.04 is not
> working correctly with most option products (using hso driver). Attached
> are patches for two files. These were made against version
> 0.7.1~rc4.1.cf199a964. Please find below a short description of the
> contents of each patch. I tried to make the changes as simple and
> straightforward as possible, probably it's not the best way but you
> should get the idea and can make it better/cleaner if needed :)
> If you have comments/suggestions/etc... please keep me in cc since I am
> not subscribed to this mailinglist.
>
> *nm-hal-manager.patch*
> -detection of network interface: At the moment the code assumes that the
> network interface and the serial interface are part of the same USB
> interface. This is only true for older products. For new products the
> serial and network interface are on separate USB interfaces. Modified it
> so it looks at the parent of the parent of the interface which should be
> the same.

I actually fixed this a while ago, there are two here that are
interesting:

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/NetworkManager/NetworkManager/commit/?h=NETWORKMANAGER_0_7&id=d0cdbf3525b105de6dc0ca4ce02801bfe8fe2222
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/NetworkManager/NetworkManager/commit/?h=NETWORKMANAGER_0_7&id=43d21155330d67dbb2b406a7b12916b0b55b2f3f

> *nm-hso-gsm-device.patch*
> -authentication: When no username or password are provided the
> authentication fails. Also several products use an icera chipset and
> these need to use the command at_opdpp. Now it will first try the old
> method and if it fails try authentication with at_opdpp.

Fixed that a few months ago too:

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/NetworkManager/NetworkManager/commit/?h=NETWORKMANAGER_0_7&id=936ad6a6665af0a68a53845d0b6aac1c7f0a3f0e

Basically, the versions that Ubuntu ships aren't always up-to-date and
don't have the latest fixes.  Alexander Sack has a PPA that contains the
latest stuff, but for whatever reason, the official Ubuntu builds don't
always have some of the more useful bug fixes.

So sorry that you had to do work that's already been done, hopefully
that won't put you off of helping out further on down the line :)
Thanks for the patches.  You might also want to try out the NM
0.8/ModemManager PPA builds that Alexander has been doing for Ubuntu
9.10 to make sure your stuff works there.

I test with a few Option devices, including the Globetrotter ICON 7.2
(the large pancake thing), GIO322 (Quicksilver), Globetrotter GT MAX 3.6
(GX0202), iCON 225, and the iCON 452 AWS.  Thanks for making top-notch
products.

> -setting up connection: Products with icera chipsets print _OWANCALL: 1,
> 2 before _OWANCALL: 1, 1. Now code will wait for "_OWANCALL: 1, 1" or
> "_OWANCALL: 1,1" reply.

Now that's interesting, I don't think I saw that with my GIO322
Quicksilver which should also be Icera based.  Are there other responses
that we may want to trap as well?  Any idea what the "2" means?  The
OWANCALL fix is probably OK though.