Re: wpa_supplicant cli works, but NM insists "wireless is disabled"

>On Sun, 2008-09-28 at 19:21 -0400, Andrew wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have appealed to the Fedora Forum, but no one seems to have a clue there.
>>
>> Here is the thread:
>> http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=199562
>>
>> (A quick synopsis of the thread:
>>
>> I've activated/deactivated everything i could think of, related to
>NetworkManager; yet, everything wireless is grayed out in the applet.
>>
>> But wpa_supplicant (cli) works!
>>
>> Additional info (beyond above thread):
>>
>> I compiled the latest NetworkManager svn; still same grayed out behavior.
>>
>> )
>>
>> I tried looking in the source and tracing the calls to and from
>nm_client_wireless_get_enabled (if that's even a function) but, ignorant of C,
>didn't get far.
>>
>> Please help!
>
>Does NM think wireless is disabled because a HAL killswitch is reporting

Don't know enough about HAL to answer the above.  (Where would i look?)

>that it's off?  Could you post some logs from /var/log/messages from
>when NM starts up?

please see attachment.  (i've X'ed out some addresses (xxxx:xxxx:....)

NM keeps saying "wlan1: link is not ready"

Yet, I can do "iwconfig" and "iwlist" with NO problem whatsoever, with good results.  Plus, as i said earlier (this seems VERY significant), i can connect with wpa_supplicant no prob (all the while NM is saying "wireless is disabled"!)

>It could also be that you've disabled the device in
>system-config-network, in which case the menu will say the device is
>"unmanaged".

I have played with system-config-network every which way, before. "wlan1" (and "wlan0") are both assigned to NM, ("Controlled by NM" is checked). (wlan0 versus wlan1 is created depending on which atheros card i insert -- i have two at my disposal)