Re: wpa_supplicant cli works, but NM insists "wireless is disabled"

On Mon, 2008-09-29 at 18:40 -0400, Andrew wrote:
> >On Sun, 2008-09-28 at 19:21 -0400, Andrew wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I have appealed to the Fedora Forum, but no one seems to have a clue there.
> >>
> >> Here is the thread:
> >> http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=199562
> >>
> >> (A quick synopsis of the thread:
> >>
> >> I've activated/deactivated everything i could think of, related to
> >NetworkManager; yet, everything wireless is grayed out in the applet.
> >>
> >> But wpa_supplicant (cli) works!
> >>
> >> Additional info (beyond above thread):
> >>
> >> I compiled the latest NetworkManager svn; still same grayed out behavior.
> >>
> >> )
> >>
> >> I tried looking in the source and tracing the calls to and from
> >nm_client_wireless_get_enabled (if that's even a function) but, ignorant of C,
> >didn't get far.
> >>
> >> Please help!
> >
> >Does NM think wireless is disabled because a HAL killswitch is reporting
>
> Don't know enough about HAL to answer the above.  (Where would i look?)
>
> >that it's off?  Could you post some logs from /var/log/messages from
> >when NM starts up?
>
> please see attachment.  (i've X'ed out some addresses (xxxx:xxxx:....)
>
> NM keeps saying "wlan1: link is not ready"
>
> Yet, I can do "iwconfig" and "iwlist" with NO problem whatsoever, with good results.  Plus, as i said earlier (this seems VERY significant), i can connect with wpa_supplicant no prob (all the while NM is saying "wireless is disabled"!)
>
> >It could also be that you've disabled the device in
> >system-config-network, in which case the menu will say the device is
> >"unmanaged".
>
> I have played with system-config-network every which way, before. "wlan1" (and "wlan0") are both assigned to NM, ("Controlled by NM" is checked). (wlan0 versus wlan1 is created depending on which atheros card i insert -- i have two at my disposal)

Hmm, I didn't get an attachment.  What wifi hardware is this, what
kernel version are you running, and what drivers are driving that
hardware?  If you need help in determining any of these things, just let
me know and I'll be glad to help.