Re: wpa_supplicant cli works, but NM insists "wireless is disabled"

On Sun, 2008-09-28 at 19:21 -0400, Andrew wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have appealed to the Fedora Forum, but no one seems to have a clue there.
>
> Here is the thread:
> http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=199562
>
> (A quick synopsis of the thread:
>
> I've activated/deactivated everything i could think of, related to NetworkManager; yet, everything wireless is grayed out in the applet.
>
> But wpa_supplicant (cli) works!
>
> Additional info (beyond above thread):
>
> I compiled the latest NetworkManager svn; still same grayed out behavior.
>
> )
>
> I tried looking in the source and tracing the calls to and from  nm_client_wireless_get_enabled (if that's even a function) but, ignorant of C, didn't get far.
>
> Please help!

Does NM think wireless is disabled because a HAL killswitch is reporting
that it's off?  Could you post some logs from /var/log/messages from
when NM starts up?  It could also be that you've disabled the device in
system-config-network, in which case the menu will say the device is
"unmanaged".

dan