Re: Problems with Networkmanager 0.7

On Mon, 2008-09-29 at 07:18 +0800, Ronald Wiplinger (Lists) wrote:
> I had to install 0.7 in order to get my E220 to work.  Works fine! I use
> Ubuntu 8.0.4 on my EeePC 1000 / 901
>
> However, I got some other problems with it.
>
> 1. Each time I connect to the network I have to key in the Shared key,
> although it is saved. I can go to Edit that connection and even show the
> key. What gone wrong with that? Why does it not take the key
> automatically? How to fix it?

It might be that the card isn't connecting within the timeout, thus NM
asks for a new key because it thinks your key is wrong.  Does it connect
the second time if you just hit "OK" without editing the key itself?
This could indicate a driver problem.  What driver is 8.04 using on your
machine?

> As mentioned above I have an EeePC 1000 and 901. While 901 does not ask
> me for the key, 1000 does. The OS is on a SD card cloned to the other
> one. Somewhere these two versions drifted apart.
>
> 2. I have two users, and I cannot get Networkmanager to work at the
> second users account. I though it will be globally installed.

Each user stores their own networks.  Fast user switching probably
doesn't work right now, but if you log in as the other user (without
fast user switching) it should work.  I'd probably need logs
from /var/log/daemon.log to diagnose.

> 3. Most annoying is that, if for any reason I lose the wireless
> connection, the icon changes to no connection. The right click on the
> icon shows me ticked Enable Network. It cannot be unticked. There is no
> Enable Wireless. And a ping to a remote site works with and without
> plugged in Ethernet cable, so that I cannot say which connection it
> actually is using, since the left click on the icon gives me only the
> choice to use VPN, which I have not setup at all.

Can you explain this a bit more?  Are you plugged into both wired and
wireless at the same time?  If "Enable Wireless" doesn't exist, yet you
see the wireless device in the menu when you left-click, that isn't
something that upstream NetworkManager does.  You might want to file a
bug in Launchpad on that particular one.

Dan