Re: stupid question - duplicated list ?

On Wed, 2008-10-22 at 12:14 -0400, Andrew wrote:
> >On Tue, 2008-10-21 at 19:43 -0400, Andrew wrote:
> >> this may have been addressed before, but my googling has been fruitless.
> >>
> >> Why does the dropdown list from nm-applet have all the available networks
> >duplicated? (first the list, then its copy?)
> >
> >What NM RPM version?
> >
> >If you have multiple access points with the same SSID, but with
> >different bands, security options, or modes, you'll get duplicate
> >entries because they are separate APs.  So for example, if you have
> >'foobar' in the b/g band and "foobar" in the a-band, you'll see both
> >APs.  In the future we should actually show what's different about them
> >in the menu.
>
> In my case it is unequivocal duplication of EVERYTHING, always.  Two identical lists. And I don't think i've ever been in the midst of multiple distinct AP's whose names coincide.
>
> But EVERY single time i've used NM, on many distinct hardware systems ((although with the same exact OS, thus far: Fedora 9 -- i've installed lots of F9's lately), I got/get the duplication.  I almost started thinking it was the intended norm.
>
> Most of the systems have the out-of-the-box F9 NM version ; i have yum-updated a few.  One I am looking at at the moment has
> 0.7.0-14.svn3675, with the *-glib and *gnome packages the same version, exceping the *-openvpn, which is *svn3632

These aren't the latest updates, you probably want the newest bits and
the newest kernel at least.  But they won't help your problem.

> On a different system, as you know, I've built NM and nm-applet from source (with your latest alterations).  Same exact manifestation with this home-built, hacked version. I see Two identical lists, one below the other. Each has the grayed header "Wireless Networks (Belkin AR2413 802.11bg NIC)"

So this is the problem, NM thinks you have two wireless cards in your
machine.  That's most definitely a HAL/kernel issue.  What kernel
version do you have installed?

Can you mail me the output of 'lshal' and 'iwconfig' from the command
line?