Re: fqdn, dhclient.conf and networkmanager ?

Hi,

Monday and I'm still stuck with this. However I'm not giving up, the
thing is that i need this working. There a possible workaround for me
until we get this understood. I'm thinking, dhclient-scripts, that's
what I've used before to manually update the dns's with nsupdate. But
that shouldn't be necessary.

Anyway, back to my problem again. I have noticed when I'm looking
through the logs from wireshark that when dhclient is used from the
commandline, that it looks like this,

Source             Destination           Protocol Info
CompalIn_f1:ed:84  Broadcast             ARP      Who has 10.64.0.1?
Tell 10.64.4.89
Source             Destination           Protocol Info
Cisco_31:9c:43     CompalIn_f1:ed:84     ARP      10.64.0.1 is at
00:1e:f6:31:9c:43
Source             Destination           Protocol Info
10.64.4.89         172.16.0.40           DNS      Standard query SOA
nrlx038.dyn.smhi.se
Source             Destination           Protocol Info
172.16.0.40        10.64.4.89            DNS      Standard query
response
Source             Destination           Protocol Info
10.64.4.89         172.16.0.40           DNS      Standard query NS
dyn.smhi.se
Source             Destination           Protocol Info
172.16.0.40        10.64.4.89            DNS      Standard query
response NS adde.ad.smhi.se NS adele.ad.smhi.se NS adrian.ad.smhi.se
Source             Destination           Protocol Info
10.64.4.89         172.16.0.40           DNS      Dynamic update SOA
dyn.smhi.se
Notice the ARP question and the DNS querying.

This is never done when i use NetworkManager, there is neither an ARP
question or DNS querying.
Why that is, i have no idea ??

I cannot come to any other conclusion that this is a bug from
NetworkManagers side, I'm feeling like Ive tried everything now and I'm
running empty on suggestion.

Patrik Martinsson
ITi
SMHI