Re: fqdn, dhclient.conf and networkmanager ?

On Tue, 2008-11-18 at 10:25 +0100, Patrik.Martinsson wrote:
> Hello all !
>
> I have a question regarding using NetworkManager and dhclient.conf,
> maybe i don't understand this right, but however.
>
> I would like to use NetworkManager but it seems like im not able to
> apply the same commands to the dhcp server as with dhclient, is
> NetworkManager using dhclient or does it gets its ip in some other
> way ?
>
> I need the same behavior with NetworkManager as a have with dhclient,
> regarding the options for dynamic update. This is how my dhclient.conf
> looks today, and i need Networkmanagar to act the same,
>
> send fqdn.fqdn "hostname.";
> send fqdn.encoded off;
> send fqdn.server-update off;
> append domain-search "foo.bar.com","foo2.bar.com";

domain-search can be configured in the 'searches' option in the UI,
either with static or "Automatic (addresses only)".

So does the DHCP server no honor the send-hostname directive?  That may
be a Microsoft DNS only option, but I was under the impression that the
ISC dhcp server supported that as well.

If not, maybe we need to send the other 3 as well, though the comment in
'man dhclient.conf' about encoded on/off doesn't sound very promising.

In the end, you should be able to put these options
in /etc/dhclient-eth0.conf (or whatever the interface name is) and have
them merged in by NetworkManager.