Re: fqdn, dhclient.conf and networkmanager ?

On Wed, 2008-11-19 at 15:49 +0100, Patrik.Martinsson wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > If not, maybe we need to send the other 3 as well, though the comment in
> > 'man dhclient.conf' about encoded on/off doesn't sound very promising.
> >
> > In the end, you should be able to put these options
> > in /etc/dhclient-eth0.conf (or whatever the interface name is) and have
> > them merged in by NetworkManager.
> >
> > Dan
>
> Hello, again !
>
> I've spent almost 2 days on this particular problem now, and come up
> with some conclusions about whats going on and why it's not behaving
> like i want it to.
>
> I take this from beginning again shortly, just so we are on the same
> side here.
> My problem is that, when i manually run dhclient from commandline, my
> dns server gets updated, BUT when dhclient is invoked from
> NetworkManager, my dns server DON'T get updated.
>
> First i thought the problem was that the fqdn options that I've
> specified in my dhclient.conf didn't get to the dhclient when it was
> invoked by the NetworkManager, this is, (of course i realize now in
> after-hand) totally wrong.
>
> It doesn't matter if we call it from commandline or trough
> NetworkManager, the
> DHCPDISCOVER
> DHCPOFFER,
> DHCPREQUEST
> DHCPACK
> packages looks EXACTLY the same (not timestamps of course, but the
> relevant information). Ive checked this with wireshark and compared the
> different results with vimdiff.
> They are the same ! Cool, at least the problem isn't there.
>
> However the problem comes after it gets its DHCPACK, when i call
> dhclient from the commandline this gets done, logs from wireshark
> Source      Destination  Protocol Info
> XX.XX.X.XX  XXX.XX.X.XX  DNS      Standard query SOA myhostname.foo.bar
>
> Source      Destination  Protocol Info
> XXX.XX.X.XX XX.XX.X.XX   DNS      Standard query response
>
> Source      Destination  Protocol Info
> XX.XX.X.XX  XXX.XX.X.XX  DNS      Standard query NS foo.bar
>
> Source      Destination  Protocol Info
> XXX.XX.X.XX XX.XX.X.XX   DNS      Standard query response NS
> dns1.foo.bar dns2.foo.bar dns3.foo.bar
>
> Source      Destination  Protocol Info
> XX.XX.X.XX  XXX.XX.X.XX  DNS      Dynamic update SOA foo.bar
> and my dns, as i stated earlier gets updated correctly.
>

> BUT, if invoked from the NetworkManager, this is what gets done,
> Source      Destination  Protocol Info
> XX.XX.X.XX  XXX.XX.X.XX  DNS      Standard query AAAA dns3.foo.bar
>
> Source      Destination  Protocol Info
> XXX.XX.X.XX XX.XX.X.XX   DNS      Standard query response
>
> Source      Destination  Protocol Info
> XX.XX.X.XX  XXX.XX.X.XX  DNS      Standard query AAAA
> dns3.foo.bar.foo.bar (No typo here)
>
> Source      Destination  Protocol Info
> XXX.XX.X.XX XX.XX.X.XX   DNS      Standard query response, No such name
> And this is not right. For some reason it tries with some IPV6 query's?
> and everything gets wrong, if i understand these logs right ?

Looks like IPv6, yes, but NM doesn't explicitly do anything with IPv6,
and there's a completely separate IPv6 DHCP client called dhcp6.  What
options are you invoking dhclient with manually?  -4 perhaps?

We may want to force -4 anyway, because we'll have completely separate
support for IPv6 later using dhcp6.

Dan