Re: What about modems (winmodems/serial)?

On Tue, 2008-11-11 at 08:26 -0500, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Dan Williams <dcbw redhat com> writes:
>
> >> Unfortunately that's not sufficient because then you cannot turn
> >> on a VPN through NM because NM is unaware that you're online.
> >> Unless there's some trick to tell nm-applet "hey, I'm online.
> >> Enable VPNs so I can turn one on" that I am unaware of, this is
> >> a MAJOR regression from 0.6.6?
> >
> > 0.6 didn't know that Dialup was active either (because it just called
> > out to shellscripts!), and thus you couldn't do VPN through a dialup
> > connection in 0.6 either.  That was one of the biggest complaints
> > against 0.6, and we fixed that for mobile broadband cards in 0.7,
> > because the most complaints *by far* came from mobile brandband users.
> > Something like 25:1 for wanting real mobile broadband over dialup.
>
> Hmm..  I have my PCS Phone configured as a dialup device in NM.
> I haven't used it in a while, but I thought that when I clicked
> on Dialup Connections -> Connect to PCS via Modem that it would allow
> me to use VPN.  But I could be misremembering.

Nope, I'm pretty sure it didn't, precisely because with 0.6, dialup
devices weren't know _at all_ to NM, and thus NM never knew whether the
device was online or not.  It was always just a call to '/sbin/ifup' and
'/sbin/ifdown' on Fedora.

> You didn't reply to my previous message about whether my phone will
> work.

Sorry; it will likely work (natively with VPN and connection sharing
too!) as long as it's recognized by HAL, you may have to add the USB IDs
for the device and tag it as a CDMA phone in 10-modem.fdi.