Re: What about modems (winmodems/serial)?

Dan Williams <dcbw redhat com> writes:

>> Unfortunately that's not sufficient because then you cannot turn
>> on a VPN through NM because NM is unaware that you're online.
>> Unless there's some trick to tell nm-applet "hey, I'm online.
>> Enable VPNs so I can turn one on" that I am unaware of, this is
>> a MAJOR regression from 0.6.6?
>
> 0.6 didn't know that Dialup was active either (because it just called
> out to shellscripts!), and thus you couldn't do VPN through a dialup
> connection in 0.6 either.  That was one of the biggest complaints
> against 0.6, and we fixed that for mobile broadband cards in 0.7,
> because the most complaints *by far* came from mobile brandband users.
> Something like 25:1 for wanting real mobile broadband over dialup.

Hmm..  I have my PCS Phone configured as a dialup device in NM.
I haven't used it in a while, but I thought that when I clicked
on Dialup Connections -> Connect to PCS via Modem that it would allow
me to use VPN.  But I could be misremembering.

You didn't reply to my previous message about whether my phone will
work.

> Dan

-derek

       warlord MIT EDU                        PGP key available