Re: What about modems (winmodems/serial)?

Dan Williams <dcbw redhat com> writes:

> On Fri, 2008-11-07 at 17:36 +0200, Peteris Krisjanis wrote:
>> Hi people,
>>
>> Ubuntu has now chosen NM 0.7 as default network management point.
>> However, there is regression in Ubuntu as you can't configure ppp
>> devices anymore via GUI.
>
> Not that you could really do so before with NM; it just called out to
> system scripts.  So you can achieve the same functionality by going to
> the network control panel and activating the connection there with NM
> even being involved.  The Dialup menu was simply a short-cut for that.

Unfortunately that's not sufficient because then you cannot turn
on a VPN through NM because NM is unaware that you're online.
Unless there's some trick to tell nm-applet "hey, I'm online.
Enable VPNs so I can turn one on" that I am unaware of, this is
a MAJOR regression from 0.6.6?

-derek

       warlord MIT EDU                        PGP key available