Re: IPv6 support

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 06:15:28PM +0100, Benoit Boissinot wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 11:12:53AM -0400, Dan Williams wrote:
> > On Thu, 2008-03-13 at 23:49 +0100, Benoit Boissinot wrote:
> > > I'd like to know what work is needed to get some IPv6 support in
> > > NetworkManager.
> > >
> > > My ISP has IPv6 support, it works like this:
> > > IP address configuration and routing is automatic (done via router
> > > advertisement)
> >
> > Right; you'll get the kernel-assigned LL address, and I believe a
> > hashed-MAC IPv6 address based on the IPv6 routing prefix that the router
> > advertises.  The kernel won't assign the routable IPv6 address until NM
> > has assigned the LL IPv6 address manually (which NM does).
> >

> By the way, while debugging the privacy extension for stateless
> configuration, I was puzzled that the interface was configured twice.
>
> >From what I've figured out, the kernel configure the interface by itself
> (once the interface is up), maybe the problem was for interfaces which
> are not devices (but from the code it seems it should work for tunnels) ?

The kernel does everything that's needed to setup your ipv6 addresses. The
Link-local address is generated from your ethernet mac and the necessary
duplicate detection is done. The same goes  for the global address as soon as
you receive a router advertisement. The only thing userspace has to do is to
setup nameserver information basically.

  Sjoerd
--
Don't make a big deal out of everything; just deal with everything.