Re: IPv6 support

On Wed, 2008-03-26 at 16:23 +0000, David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-03-26 at 11:12 -0400, Dan Williams wrote:
> > I've namespaced all the property names and such for IPv4 so that we can
> > add the required bits for IPv6.  At a minimum, we need an ip6 setting
> > (see NetworkManagerConfigurationSpecification [1] at live.gnome.org for
> > the ipv4 one).  So we'll need to come up with a list of things people
> > want to configure with IPv6 on their boxes:
> >
> > David, what sort of stuff would people want to override?  I assume we
> > should allow people to override the router (ignoring the advertisement),
> > DNS servers (ignoring the RDNSS stuff), and add additional manual IPv6
> > addresses?
>
> That's about it for now, I suspect -- until you get to the fun stuff
> like doing 6to4 or other tunnels.
>
> One thing to note is that 'dns-search' from your ipv4 settings isn't
> really IPv4-specific. That's used for both IPv4 and IPv6. To a certain
> extent, the same goes for DNS servers too. You can mix and match IPv4
> and IPv6 nameservers in /etc/resolv.conf.

Right...  that information can get populated in two ways right now:
through a settings service (and therefore set up by the user either with
ifcfg files or the connection editor/GConf) or via DHCP.  In the DHCP
case, the searches are specific to the IPv4 configuration of the
interface.  In the user-specified case, you're completely correct that
they aren't IPv4 specific.

'dns-search' belongs in the same class as 'hostname', which I hope to
support sometime soon when libICE stops doing gethostbyname() for
ORBit/Bonobo crap and blocking apps for 30 seconds on launch.

Dan